||EMSA/CA/2015/01 - Application Developer
||The Bureau of the Executive Director
|Type of post:
|Closing date for applications:
||6 March 2015
The selection of candidates will follow the EMSA Staff Recruitment Procedure.
Candidates must apply for this post via the EMSA website http://www.emsa.europa.eu - vacancies.
Please note that to make an EMSA on-line application you will need to create your EMSA profile
using a valid e-mail address and a password.
The European Maritime Safety Agency was established for the purpose of ensuring a high, uniform and effective level of maritime safety, maritime security as well as prevention of and response to pollution by ships within the EU.
The idea of a European Maritime Safety Agency (EMSA) originated in the late 1990s along with a number of other important European maritime safety initiatives. EMSA was set up as the regulatory agency that would provide a major source of support to the Commission and the Member States in the field of maritime safety and prevention of pollution from ships.
The European Parliament and Council Regulation (EC) No 1406/2002, as amended, provides the legal basis for the establishment of the European Maritime Safety Agency (EMSA).
2. Tasks of the agency
The Agency provides technical, operational and scientific assistance to the European Commission and Member States in the fields of maritime safety, maritime security, prevention of, and response to, pollution caused by ships as well as response to marine pollution caused by oil and gas installations.
The Agency also contributes to the overall efficiency of maritime traffic and maritime transport.
3. The Bureau of the Executive Director
Support to the Director in all areas under her responsibility. This includes helping good governance with management support, promoting compliance, transparency and civil service culture. In the area of planning and monitoring the Unit is responsible for developing the main institutional planning and reporting documents (SPD and CAAR), follow the full budgetary cycle, from the initial input to monitoring its execution. The Executive office provides secretariat to the EMSA’s Administrative Board and includes all compliance and audit related tasks of EMSA (IAS, ECA, ICF, etc) including risk management. Two other areas under the responsibility of the Executive Office are the continuous development of a Quality Management System and the Accounting Officer (with direct reporting to the Agency’s Administrative Board). Communication is also part of the Unit both in terms of traditional and digital/social media products. International and Interinstitutional relations for work with institutions and authorities, within the EU and beyond are also in the portfolio of the Executive Office. This involves planning and taking initiatives, coordinating EMSA’s position as well as organising events and visits.
4. Functions and duties
The Application Developer will work within the Planning and Monitoring Cell in the Executive Office of the Agency.
He/She will be responsible for the design, development and administration of collaboration and management tools to support horizontal planning and monitoring needs and requirements, in particular related to budget, finance, procurement and performance, as well as human resources and document management, primarily based on SharePoint 2010 and SharePoint 2013 but also including custom applications based on the .Net framework. The primary goal of this position is to enable efficiency improvements throughout the Agency via effective use of the SharePoint tool.
He/She will write software specifications, specify appropriate architecture, develop and program software, and define and implement technical interfaces with other systems.
In addition to being comfortable with the tasks and essential skills listed below, he/she will have strong business analysis skills. He/She will be required to adapt to the needs and knowledge make-up of interdisciplinary teams, and communicate effectively with team members with different levels of IT literacy. He/She will be expected to get comfortable with the Agency’s internal processes and EU procedures and be able to work productively without a lot of "hand holding".
To effectively fulfil the job requirements the Application Developer will need experience in the SharePoint 2010/2013 environment covering complete software lifecycle: architecture/design/development/deployment/configuration/testing/administration.
The Application Developer will need to perform the following tasks:
- Develop and support required SharePoint workflows used in various business processes, in particular related to budget, finance, procurement, performance and human resources;
- Assist in ensuring conformity of applications with EMSA Financial Regulation and audit requirements;
- Gather, analyse and write specifications;
- Create and maintain technical documentation, test plans and implementation plans;
- Research, document & assimilate SharePoint best practices;
- Assist in identification of future application needs and evaluation of proactive solutions;
- Proactively contribute with best practices and solutions to improve efficiency of the working processes within the Agency;
- Coordinate development outsourced to 3rd parties and verify and validate deliverables for compliance with requirements, implementation constraints and best practices;
- Assist users in acceptance of developed/delivered software and documentation;
- Support the existing SharePoint developments, acting as 2nd tier help desk;
- Conduct ongoing maintenance and enhancements.
5. Eligibility and Selection Criteria
A. ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA
Qualifications and experience required:
A.1. Education and professional experience:
A level of education which corresponds to completed university studies of at least three years attested by a diploma, and appropriate professional experience of at least one year.
A.2. Language skills:
The main working language in the field of maritime safety is English. Candidates must therefore have an excellent command of spoken and written English, with a satisfactory knowledge of at least one other official language of the European Union to the extent necessary for the performance of the above mentioned duties.
B. SELECTION CRITERIA
- Hands-on experience creating solutions for managing complex financial systems, including data entry, verification and reporting.
- Hands-on experience creating solutions for implementing Human Resources workflows.
- Expert level knowledge of:
- Develop, deliver and test software in SharePoint
- C# / ASP.NET Web-Based Development
- SQL Server 2008 / R2 Database Development
- RESTful API Services in SharePoint Object Model
- SharePoint application development skills using SharePoint Objects: Sites, Webs, Execution Contexts, Site Collections, Portals, Lists, Libraries, Features, Solutions, Web Parts, Event Receivers.
- Ability to work independently, strong team player used to work in an interdisciplinary team possessing good communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Strong business analysis, process improvement and change management skills.
- Maintain and manage existing source base of applications developed on top of SharePoint or on .Net framework, respond to incidents and correct bugs in these existing applications.
- At least 5 years of experience and knowledge of:
- SharePoint Developer
- SharePoint Installation
- SharePoint Content Management
- SharePoint Security
- SharePoint workflow
- C#/ASP.net web development
- 1 year hands-on experience in the above, specifically with SharePoint 2013.
- Experience as technical project leader and / or project manager.
- Responsible for quality control and acceptance of deliveries by contractors.
- Experience developing applications that meet EU rules and procedures related to budget, finance, procurement and staff.
- Interfacing with legacy systems or 3th party applications, particularly experience integrating output from ABAC will be a strong advantage.
- Good knowledge of SOAP WebServices.
- Experience with wireframing, prototyping and User Interface definition for usability.
- Expertise in Business Intelligence (including Excel Services, SQL Server Reporting Services).
- Experience working with NINTEX Workflow and forms.
- Experience with document management best practices (retention policies, archival requirements, document classification etc.).
- Microsoft Certification in SharePoint and/or .Net development.
- Other relevant IT certifications.
The advantageous criteria will be considered by the Selection Board depending on the number of applicants meeting the essential criteria.
Applicants must meet the required eligibility criteria concerning the required educational qualifications and years of experience, as well as the essential criteria by the deadline for this call for applications.
6. General conditions
In order to be eligible the candidate must:
- Be a national of one of the Member States of the European Union or of Iceland or Norway;
- Be entitled to your full rights as a citizen;
- Have fulfilled the obligations imposed on you by the laws concerning military service;
- Meet the character requirements for the duties involved and
- Be physically fit to perform the duties linked to the post.
7. Conditions of employment
The Application Developer will be appointed by the Executive Director, upon recommendation of the Chairman of the Selection Board.
The duration of the contract is three years, with the possibility of renewal.
The successful candidate will be recruited in function group IV (FGIV). The grade will be determined in accordance with the number of years of professional experience.
The basic monthly salary for the entry grade of Function Group IV, (Function Group IV, Grade 13, Step 1) before any deductions or allowances, weighted for Lisbon, at 1 July 2012 is 2,606.24 EUR.
In addition to the basic salary, staff members may be entitled to various allowances, such as an expatriation allowance (16% of basic salary), household allowance, dependent child allowance and education allowance. The salary is subject to a Community tax deducted at source and staff members are exempt of national taxation.
Please note that recruitment is done in the first step of the indicated grade.
EMSA offers a comprehensive welfare package including pension scheme, medical, accident and occupational disease insurance coverage, unemployment and invalidity allowance. Further information regarding rights and conditions of employment can be found in the following document:
The place of employment is Lisbon, Portugal.
Candidates are advised that if they are offered a post, and accept, they must undergo a compulsory medical examination to establish that they meet the standard of physical fitness necessary to perform the duties involved.
8. Submission of applications
Candidates must submit their application electronically solely via the EMSA website within the deadline. Applications by any other means (hard copy or ordinary e-mail) or submitted after the deadline will not be accepted.
All candidates will receive an acknowledgement of receipt for their application.
EMSA is an equal opportunities employer and encourages applications from all candidates who fulfil the eligibility and selection criteria without any distinction whatsoever on any ground such as sex, race, colour, ethnic or social origin, genetic features, language, religion or belief, political or any other opinion, membership of a national minority, property, birth, disability, age, marital status or other family situation or sexual orientation.
You may apply in any of the official languages of the European Community, but it would be helpful to apply in English in order to facilitate the selection process. However you are requested to state your educational qualifications and positions held in the language of origin.
9. The selection process
For each selection process a Selection Board is nominated. The selection is carried out in two phases:
1. In the first phase all eligible applications will be evaluated by the Selection Board and scored against the selection criteria. Please note that non-compliance with at least one of the essential selection criteria will result in the exclusion of the candidate from the selection process. Advantageous criteria constitute additional assets and will not result in exclusion, if not fulfilled. The advantageous criteria will be considered by the Selection Board depending on the number of applicants meeting the essential selection criteria.
On this basis, the Selection Board will invite to the interview and to the test phase the best qualified candidates (maximum of 15), on condition that they have achieved at least 60% of the highest possible score during the evaluation of applications. Should the case arise that there are various candidates scoring the same number of points in the 15th ranking, the number of candidates to be invited will be increased accordingly to accomodate this.
2. In the second phase, the selected candidates will be invited to pass one or several written tests related to the job profile and to take part in a selection interview.
During this recruitment phase, the selected candidates will be evaluated by the Selection Board. After the interviews and tests, the Selection Board will draw up a list of the most suitable candidates to be proposed to the Appointing Authority. Only candidates receiving at least 70% of the maximum points at interview and at the test phase will be included in the list of the most suitable candidates. The Appointing Authority will select the successful candidate and decide whether to also adopt a reserve list. The successful candidates will be informed accordingly.
All candidates will receive an information letter of the outcome of their application.
Please note that a binding commitment can only be made after verification of all conditions and will take the form of a contract signed by the Executive Director.
The reserve list will remain valid for a period of 1 year following its establishment. Therefore candidates whose name will be put on a reserve list could be offered a contract during this period of time. Please note however that inclusion in the reserve list does not guarantee recruitment.
Please note that the selection process may take several months to be completed and that no information will be released during this period. Once a selection process has been completed, its status will be displayed in the e-recruitment.
Please note that once you have created your EMSA profile, any correspondence regarding your application must be sent or received via your EMSA profile.
For any prior enquiry, please refer to the FAQ (Frequently asked questions) section, or send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
Requests for information and appeal:
An applicant who would like further information, or considers that he/she has grounds for complaint concerning a particular decision may, at any point in the selection procedure, request further information from the Chairperson of the Selection Board.
For information on how to lodge a complaint and/or an appeal procedure, please consult the ‘General Information for Recruitment’ overview on our website for more information: